The Informer
Unions Call Off Strike But “The Struggle Is Not Over”

Unions Call Off Strike But “The Str…

The Public Workers Union ...

Meldrum Care Services Reponds on the Death of Mr. Quashie

Meldrum Care Services Reponds on th…

Dear editor In response t...

Hermitage businessman on $50,000 bail for attempted murder

Hermitage businessman on $50,000 ba…

Twenty-two-year-old Steph...

Belmont Resident Suffering

Belmont Resident Suffering

A Belmont homeowner is co...

From A Concern To An Eyesore

From A Concern To An Eyesore

National Democratic Congr...

American Drug Trafficker Fined

American Drug Trafficker Fined

Twenty-six-year-old Ameri...

Body of Fisherman Fished Out of Carenage Water

Body of Fisherman Fished Out of Car…

The lifeless body of fift...



Driving instructors are u...

Positive Response To PWU Call Out

Positive Response To PWU Call Out

Workers under the banner ...

Government Cannot Give To One Set Of Workers Says Prime Minister

Government Cannot Give To One Set O…

Grenada’s Prime Minister ...

Prev Next

St John’s Sports, Champion of GFA Cup Tournament 2017

  • Written by  The Grenada Informer
St John’s Sports, Champion of GFA Cup Tournament 2017

St. John’s Sports Football Club is the new champion of the Grenada Football Association (GFA) Cup Knockout Tournament.

 The St. John’s outfit clinched the title in an exciting final on Sunday, beating home team Shamrock 4 goals to 2 in extra time at the Fond Playing Field in St Patrick.

With an aggressive first thirty minutes of play the local boys (Shamrock) looked in total control of the game, finding the back of the net on two occasions in quick succession, first in the 19th minute of play from Chad Mark kicking from the penalty spot and later in the 29th minute of play from Daniel Toussaint.

 That effort and success from the Boys in Blue were however short-lived as the men from the fishing town of Gouyave were able to pull one back from the boot of Asward Phillip in the 35th of play capitalizing on what many might have considered a goalkeeper error. Nevertheless, the equalizer came two minutes later from the boot of Clint Pysadee in the 37th minute of play with a long ball way outside the eighteen-yard box into the back of the net, with the goalkeeper caught in no-mans-land, to end the first half with the score even, 2 goals each.

 The second half saw equal exchanges from both teams, good levels of control but failed to convert despite the many opportunities that presented themselves from both sides; therefore when the final whistle was sounded at the end of regulation time the score was deadlocked with the score the same as the first half ended, 2 goals each.

 The match then went into extra time during which the St John’s outfit added two additional goals; one from Clint Pysadee in the 103rd minute and the other from Damion Ross in the 120th minute to close the game 4 goals to 2 and capture the title.

 Meanwhile in a short presentation following the game the Golden Glove went to Reshane Houston of St. John’s Sport and the Golden Boot award went to Keno Alexander from Hard Rock.

 The MVP of the tournament was Reshane Houston from St. John’s Sports

 Sunday’s victory saw the St Johns Sports team walking away with a winning prize of  $5000, in addition to a winning trophy and 25 gold medals while the second place prize of $3000, plus a trophy and 25 silver medals went to Shamrock.


Login to post comments
back to top


Local News

About Us

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Follow Us